Dawn:

This comes up about twice a year, I think. I did a survey of Can and US
schools, about two years ago. I got responses from 29 schools. The
average class size in Canada (even considering several stupidly large
classes like U of T's) is 65, but if we rule out the massive lecture
courses at UT, UBC and Waterloo, the average drops to 29. All of those
large courses have tutorials of ~20. In the US, where composition is
better entrenched in the academic culture, the average is 21 and none of
the 16 US schools has stupid large lecture sections.

Hope that helps.

Rob Irish