Ray,

At 07:22 PM 12/03/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>I feel the same way...sooner would be better.
>
>my sister, the medical doctor, told me
>i have a ticket to europe
>if there is a pd break through there...
>we were talking about how there is research
>going on that is not happening in the USA
>and not supported by the FDA
>
>sometimes drugs are developed in europe first
>then go through  years of more testing by the FDA
>Ibuprofen is a good example--
>approved in europe for Meniurres (sp?) disease
>(chronic ringing in the ears)
>--it was initially tested in the US for its effect on infarction
>--then there were toxicity studies
>--then a few years later
>        it was  available over the counter every where
>
>it seems that pd is a complicated disease
>requiring multiple levels of treatment
>treating motor symptoms, treating autonomic symptoms,
>neuropreservation, restoring lost neurons, etc...
>
>there are no easy answers
>we will miss and grieve for those who succumb
>--------on the edge of the prairie abyss---------
>Ray Strand
>48/dx PD 2 yrs/40? onset/retired

You know Ray, you bring up a good many points,
a few I've been meaning to discuss with the PD Family.
I know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that PD seems
to be harder on the young.  At first I thought it might be
because you don't have the financial security we older PWP's
do, but then along came MJF and blew that theory right through
the floor board. He certainly, unlike Sandra Norris, doesn't have
to worry about if he will eat ,or take his RX's this month, and yet
he definitely suffers with PD.

I have a good friend in the Netherlands, whom I met on this list
5 years ago. When he first was diagnosed with PD, they retired him
and put him on a pension.  He's a journalist and does free-lance
work, but only works part time. Also, he is given his RX's, and
many times in the past 5 years ,he has had them for several years
before they are approved for use in the USA.

I wish I knew how to get some of these things started in the USA.
Why should a person have to make a choice between a meal or their
RX?
Why does everything in the USA take so long to accomplish?
What do they think a Parkie will do till 2003 before these RX
Bills are initiated?
3 years to a PWP is like dog years, they count for a whole lot more.

I know, on my tombstone they are going to write:
SHE COULD ALWAYS SEE THE PROBLEM BUT WAS UNABLE TO
COME UP WITH THE SOLUTION!!

just me,
Marjorie
68/58/55

Shortcut to Mail Options click here:
http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/mailopt.html
Home of John Cottingham's PIENO. My Phone # 000-000-0000