This notice from a friend of mine at the U. of  Wisconsin at Stevens Point
(UWSP)is genuine. Watch out!

>Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:57:02 -0600
>Subject: email
>
>Yesterday UWSP was hit by a virus, and the server my email is on was
>unavailable until about 2:30 today, waiting for them to scan all incoming
>email. Here is the message they had on the web:
>Creative Shockwave Worm Outbreak (12/04/2000, 4:50 PM)
>There is currently an outbreak of the W95/Creative worm on campus. Please do
>not execute a program called CREATIVE.EXE attached to any e-mail message.
>W95/Creative is a worm that arrives as an email attachment named
>CREATIVE.EXE. The subject line will be: "A great Shockwave flash movie", and
>the body of the message is "Check out this new flash movie that I downloaded
>just now ... It's Great, Bye". when executed.
>Once a computer is infected, the next person logging in on that computer
>will continue to spread the worm if that person has a valid e-mail account.
>In fact, the next person doesn't even need to start e-mail to continue
>spreading the worm to others. Just by logging in on an infected computer is
>enough for the worm to start automatically sending messages to addresses the
>person has access to.
SNIPPED
>This message is to warn you not to open any .exe or .pif attachments ...

(I think she may have meant "gif" attachments....

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at  http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm
           and also at  http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at
http://www.crosswinds.net/~caregivers/index.html