"Marjorie L. Moorefield" wrote:

> At 02:37 PM 12/03/2000 +0000, you wrote:
> >Having been to 2 PD research events in England over the last 2 weeks, my
> >biased understanding is that 2 labs in England (not private sector) are
> >leading the world in the development of new anti-PD drugs. Some leading edge
> >stuff in genetics is also going on. I don't know the state of cell
> >replacement research, although I know some companies (eg ReNeuron) are in
> >the field. Furthermore, I read today in the newspapers that the Church of
> >England has approved of embryo cell research and regard it as no more
> >unnatural than IVF treatment or heart transplants.
>
> Thanks Charles,
> That is wonderful news. I, as everyone else, doesn't care who finds the
> cure, just as long as someone does it soon.

I feel the same way...sooner would be better.

my sister, the medical doctor, told me
i have a ticket to europe
if there is a pd break through there...

we were talking about how there is research
going on that is not happening in the USA
and not supported by the FDA

sometimes drugs are developed in europe first
then go through  years of more testing by the FDA

Ibuprofen is a good example--
approved in europe for Meniurres (sp?) disease
(chronic ringing in the ears)
--it was initially tested in the US for its effect on infarction
--then there were toxicity studies
--then a few years later
       it was  available over the counter every where

it seems that pd is a complicated disease
requiring multiple levels of treatment
treating motor symptoms, treating autonomic symptoms,
neuropreservation, restoring lost neurons, etc...

there are no easy answers
we will miss and grieve for those who succumb

> just me,
> Marjorie
> 68/58/55

> Shortcut to Mail Options click here:
> http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/mailopt.html
> Home of John Cottingham's PIENO. My Phone # 000-000-0000

--------on the edge of the prairie abyss---------

Ray Strand

48/dx PD 2 yrs/40? onset/retired