"Marjorie L. Moorefield" wrote:

                 <<snipped my old mesage>>

> You know Ray, you bring up a good many points,
> a few I've been meaning to discuss with the PD Family.
> I know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that PD seems
> to be harder on the young.  At first I thought it might be
> because you don't have the financial security we older PWP's
> do, but then along came MJF and blew that theory right through
> the floor board. He certainly, unlike Sandra Norris, doesn't have
> to worry about if he will eat ,or take his RX's this month, and yet
> he definitely suffers with PD.

my opinion is that young onset parkinsons can strip us of our dreams
--unfinished business.  we have to let go--and it aint easy.
every one is different of course.

> I have a good friend in the Netherlands, whom I met on this list
> 5 years ago. When he first was diagnosed with PD, they retired him
> and put him on a pension.  He's a journalist and does free-lance
> work, but only works part time. Also, he is given his RX's, and
> many times in the past 5 years ,he has had them for several years
> before they are approved for use in the USA.

I just got off the phone--
had a discussion about insurance with a friend originally from England.

She is a talented architect (she came to the US to do a project)
then, as things go, fell in love with a furniture maker/organic farmer,
and stayed. They are both self employed and pay a lot for health insurance.
she just had her second child. The delivery was C-section--not cheap
without insurance.

She gave me an ear full about the stratification of American society--
the haves and the have nots.  We talked from our experiences about people,
about certain areas of L.A. or New Orleans.  there is a public attitude
that
looks down on the unfortunate as lazy and there is something wrong
for not being to take advantage of this wonderful economy we have now.

then she said our society is no stronger than its weakest members.

in england, there is a whole different atmosphere, than here.

maybe it is a survival of the fittest, or fear of socialization,
a cowboy mentality that drives us.

It is arrogant to think good circumstances are permanent.
Life is about change...and it changes, and it takes so little
to go from the strongest to the weakest.
This group knows so well that feeling...remember your diagnosis date?

> I wish I knew how to get some of these things started in the USA.
> Why should a person have to make a choice between a meal or their
> RX?
> Why does everything in the USA take so long to accomplish?
> What do they think a Parkie will do till 2003 before these RX
> Bills are initiated?
> 3 years to a PWP is like dog years, they count for a whole lot more.

there is a diversity of opinions on this list
about our governments role in health care.

it may be good to hammer it out, bit by bit, pros and cons--
like we did with the stem cell issue.
we won't all agree...but, it will be educational.
and, in the end we (and the PD organizations and foundations)
can take it to our government representatives in an informed manner.

this list is a world forum.
a forum is the basis of democracy.
"a new voice" ought to be heard.

> I know, on my tombstone they are going to write:
> SHE COULD ALWAYS SEE THE PROBLEM BUT WAS UNABLE TO
> COME UP WITH THE SOLUTION!!

maybe it will  also say:
                            BUT, SHE DIED TRYING.

> just me,
> Marjorie
> 68/58/55

> Shortcut to Mail Options click here:
> http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/mailopt.html
> Home of John Cottingham's PIENO. My Phone # 000-000-0000

--------on the edge of the prairie abyss---------

Ray Strand

48/dx PD 2 yrs/40? onset/retired

list instructions: