Bob Anibal wrote:
> Cecily (80) has had PD for about 20 years and 2 years ago Aug 7 had a
> stroke.  She has difficulty moving - uses a walker most of the time  and  a
> transporter wheel chair. Ever since the stroke communication has been very
> difficult  - I am becoming the world's best expert with 20 Questions. She is
> on Sinemet, Comtan, Mirapex. Aspirin, Bumetanide, Dektol, Eldepryl and
> Tamoxifen ( had a lumpectomy about 4 yrs ago ), Vitamin C and multivitamins
> At an appointment with the neuro a week ago he  suggested she take Vitamin E
> 800 units/day. I hope I'm not imagining things but she seems brighter -
> better communication - and  a little steadier on her feet.
> Any comments, please.

Bob, taking a vitamin won't necessarily bring about any improvement in
an individual -- UNLESS that person was deficient in the particular
vitamin. With PD, it is quite possible to become deficient in one or
more nutrients, for a wide variety of reasons. It's certainly possible
that your Cecily was deficient in vitamin E, and that the improvement
you see is the result of nutrient repletion. Good for you for being so
concerned, and so perceptive!
Best,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/