----- Original Message -----
From: Robert A. Fink, M. D. <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 8:30 AM
Subject: Re: Weakness in PD?

> Date sent:              Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:20:49 -0800
> Send reply to:          David Meigs <[log in to unmask]>
> From:                   David Meigs <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:                Weakness in PD?
> To:                     [log in to unmask]
>
> > According to all I have read it seems that weakness does not occur in
> > PD. I can see a marked decrease in strength over the several months.
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> The original description of Parkinson's disease (by Dr. Parkinson) was
> "paralysis agitans", or "The Shaking Palsy".  I believe that weakness
> is a part of the illness, especially as it advances.
>
> Best,
>
> Bob

Surely there can be no doubt about PD causing weakness. My wife has shown
very little of the "shaking palsy" but right now is so weak that she cannot
move and is unable to swallow and her speech is virtually unintelligible.
She was diagnosed in Dec 93 and has been either hospitalised or in
convalesence for all but 6 weeks of the last 6 months as the result of two
falls and complications resulting from those falls e.g. infection,
pneumonia, etc., etc., She has grown weaker ever since she was diagnosed and
only her mental strength has kept her going as long as she has. Right now we
are depending on the Lord for healing and that He will provide a bed in a
hospital so that she can start ECT treatment. Three months ago they told me
she would not last the week but she is still here and showing far more
courage in her circumstance than I could ever imagine. The days are too long
for me and I feel guilty because I cannot be with her all the time, the
stress is too great.
For all of you that believe in Jesus and his work upon the Cross please pray
for healing and a successful treatment for this insidious disease and
forgiveness for my weakness.
Regards
Derek Pocock