Here is my letter that will be read....

Sandra Norris
1216-5 Emmanuel Church Rd.
Conover, NC 28613
Phone: (828) 695-9841
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

December 5, 2000

The Honorable Congressman Cass Ballenger
United States House of Representatives
2182 Rayburn House Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20515-3310

Dear Congressman Ballenger,

I am writing to you today at your request.  My name is Sandra Norris.  I had
an appointment with you on Thursday, the 30th day of November.  At that
time, you requested that I write you a letter detailing the specifics of my
situation and my current battle of seeking help with purchasing my
prescribed medications.  You also made the request that I have this letter
in your office in Washington DC when you arrive on Monday December 4, 2000.
You assured me that you would read this letter to Congress on the day the
Bill S.2807 (formerly HR 4680) is discussed and voted upon. It is to my
understanding that this Bill S.2807 is on the table now.

Congressman Ballenger, and those listening, I am a 40 year old woman that
has done battle with Parkinson’s Disease for the last twenty years.  Yes, I
was only 20 years of age when Parkinson’s Disease changed the course of my
life.  Of the past 20 years, the year 2000 has been my most difficult to
deal with.  Due to a failed marriage, I am now most arduously fighting to
live life independently.  Much to my chagrin, I fear I am going to lose this
battle of trying to live life independently.  Please, please, listen to me
with the passion that beats in your hearts.  I have a monthly income of
$782.00 of which is drawn from Social Security Disability.  I am thankful
for this amount.  Due to Parkinson’s disease, the medication that keeps me
functioning, living, surviving, costs $620.89.

The difference between these two amounts comes to a total of $161.11.  May I
ask of you to stop at this point and genuinely give pause to this question;
could any of you that are reading and hearing this live on $161.11 for four
weeks out of a given month? Remember there are five weeks to some months.

Please know that I have been to Social Services in the county in which I
live. Yesterday, after calling my case-worker Phyllis Miller, I am able to
give to you some factual figures and amounts.   In the state of North
Carolina a single person maintaining a single household is expected to live
on $262.00 a month (after medical expenses).  In order for full Medicaid
benefits to be awarded I must reach a deductible of $3,100.00.  My only
medical expenses at this time are my Neurologist appointments and my
medications.  In order for me to reach the required deductible I would have
to deny my body of parkinsonian medication for a minimum of 4 and one half
months.  I would die if I went without medication that long.

Social Services did a “projected-plan” of medical costs.  This enabled me to
be awarded  $126.00 in food stamp benefits but only after I signed away any
rights to any monetary value that I jointly shared from real estate with my
husband.  This leaves me with $161.11 to pay my rent, power, water, phone,
and other bills. Drug Company drug-programs and Christian Organizations can
only help so much.  I am thankful for the emotional support of PLWP. (A
not-for-profit Organization) People Living With Parkinson’s.

Because of my medicines I can cook, I can drive, I can walk one mile a day,
I can dress myself, bathe myself, feed myself.  Without medicines I cannot
do anything.  I would require critical care in a hospital.  Without medicine
I would be fed with a feeding tube inserted through my nose.  I would have a
catheter bag because I would not be able to take myself to the bathroom.  I
would be a frozen vegetable.

Congressman Ballenger and other Honorable men and women reading and
listening, I thank you for taking the time to hear my story.  I urge you to
take my life story into consideration when you are called upon to vote on
Bill S.2807.

Sincerely,

Sandra Norris
Team Leader of
The Research Advocacy Team of PLWP

Sandy Norris 40/28/20 check my new site..
www.plwp.org/sandys_parkie_porch.htm
"Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see."