For the full story:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/butterflyballot001130.html

By Amanda Onion

Nov. 30 — Voters have complained they're confusing. Lawyers have argued it
in court. Now a Canadian scientist is publishing a study to try and prove
the infamous "butterfly ballot" leads to errors.
"The morning after the election I was drinking my coffee and watching TV
when they flashed an image of the butterfly ballot," says Robert Sinclair,
a Canadian psychologist at the University of Alberta. "I saw right away
there was a serious design problem."
Creating Canadian Equivalent
Since the Canadian elections were only 20 days away, Sinclair called his
former graduate adviser, Melvin Mark, a psychologist at Pennsylvania State
University, and the two designed a quick study. They decided to poll
Canadians on their preferences among the candidates for Prime Minister
using ballots with single columns and others with the two-column design.
His results, which will be published next Thursday in the journal Nature,
show that more than 7.5 percent of those using a ballot designed like the
so-called butterfly ballot, intended to vote for one candidate, but
mistakenly voted for another.
The study addresses alleged problems in the two-column butterfly ballot
which was used in Palm Beach County, Florida. More than 19,000 ballots in
the Florida county were thrown out when machines determined that voters had
marked votes for two candidates. Others have argued that Reform Party
Candidate Pat Buchanan received a disproportionately high number of votes
in the county because of the ballots.

just me,
Marjorie
68/58/55

Shortcut to Mail Options click here:
http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/mailopt.html
Home of John Cottingham's PIENO.  Way to go John!!!