Hi All,

It's wonderful Sandy that you are taking initiative on this important
legislation.  And the sample letter makes the letter writing task
easier for all of us. I have some questions.

Unfortunately, I have not kept up on prescription drug legislation.
So I went to the Congressional web site http://thomas.loc.gov and
searched on "prescription drug". I found oodles of different bills
related to prescription drug plans in various stages of the legislative
process.   I thoht, how do we tell which are better and which to
support? I can't read, understand, and compare all these bills, so I
started to look for someone else who might. I found strong opinions
pro or con:

The Consumers Union is quite down on HR 4680 (the House
version of S2807?), saying it "fails to assure affordable,
comprehensive prescription drug coverage for all Medicare
beneficiaries. It lacks public accountability, and assures that there
will be future special interest requests from insurers. It is destined
to confuse consumers and to lead to a complicated marketplace
with incentives for cherry-picking the healthy. It fails to guarantee
fair prices for beneficiaries."  See
http://www.consumersunion.org/health/hr4680dc600.htm

I found a web site for Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law, which
compares
1. President's Proposed Prescription Drug Benefit
2. The Medicare Expansion for Needed Drugs (MEND) Act of 2000
(S. 2541) Introduced by Democratic Senators Daschle, Moynehan
and Kennedy.
3. The Republican bill H.R. 4680.
According to the Bazelon Center, mental health advocacy groups
"give qualified support to the White House and Democrats' plans
but express grave concerns about the Republicans' proposal."
See http://www.bazelon.org/600medicare.html for more.

An organization called the Rural Policy Research Institute provides
extensive detailed discussion of
S.2753—"Medicare Expansion for Needed Drugs (MEND) Act of
2000" introduced 6/19/2000 by Daschle.
S.2342—"Medicare Modernization Act of 2000" introduced 4/4/00
by Moynihan on behalf of President Clinton, as modified by the mid-
year budget review published by the Office of Management and
Budget.
S.2758—"Medicare Outpatient Drug Act of 2000" introduced
6/20/00 by Graham.
H.R.4680—"Medicare Rx 2000 Act" introduced by Thomas and
passed in the House on 6/28/00.
S.2807—"The Medicare Prescription Drug and Modernization Act
of 2000" introduced 6/28/00 by Breaux.
S.2836—"Medicare Rx Drug Discount and Security Act of 2000"
introduced 6/30/00 by Hagel.
It's a lot of detail, perhaps too much.
See http://www.rupri.org/pubs/archive/reports/P2000-8/

There are many other web sites of various organizations with
recommendations on these bills, and probably Murray Charters will
find them all for us. So now, in addition to the question of which
bill(s) are best there is the question of how to evaluate the
evaluators!

I don't want to get all bogged down in detail, but before plunging in,
I think we need to know which bill(s) will do the best job for us and
the practical question of what is possible to get passed.   Should
we support S2807/HR4680 because they are our best chance for
anything at all, or try to pick the best bill and support that one, or
what?

Phil Tompkins
Amherst, Mass
age 62/dx 1990