Bob, and everyone.

I haven't been following the discussion in detail, mainly because so
little on PARKINSN is interesting these days.

As is probably well known I have been concerned about the tone of the
list for some time. Yes, the list has a sense of "community", but
that is at the expense of people who can't share that community's
values - be it in terms of mail volume, subject matter, or opinions
that are expressed.

The list has stayed broadly static in numbers over the past few
years, despite a massive increase in the number of people on The
Internet. I strongly suspect a large number of people are being
driven off the list by a vocal minority who don't feel the need to
consider the impact of their actions. As a result, thousands of
people are failing to benefit from the wisdom and help that can come
from this list when it is at its best.

If people want a community list, then let's have one - SPARKLE is one
example. Lets have more than one - I'll host as many as there are
volunteers to run them.

I'm not judging the applicability of any subject matter, all I'm
asking for is for PARKINSN to focus on Parkinson's, which will make
it useful to more people. Take all the other stuff onto other lists,
which can be closely allied to PARKINSN, and part of the community.

Its just as easy to subscribe to one more list as it was to subscribe
to PARKINSN in the first place (well, probably easier), and we can
regularly advertise the other lists on PARKINSN. This will give
people a choice of what they get in their inbox.

In this way the community can grow, become stronger, and more healthy.

The alternative is PARKINSN will wither and die, a victim of its own
success, and the selfishness of a minority. And we will *all* be the
poorer for it.

>I will
>remain here for the next few days, waiting for people to *publicly*
>post their true feelings about the points that I have been trying to
>make (about offensive postings under the guise of "jokes").

Count my vote.

>  Unless I
>see a majority of this List standing in support of sensitivity, I will
>leave this List.
>
>Maybe my usefulness is gone, anyway.

This, ladies and gentlemen, typifies the challenge facing PARKINSN.
Why should anyone who wants to contribute to Parkinson's Disease be
involved with a list that's long since got off track? What will
PARKINSN be when the experts that have stuck it out so far have left?

What's the point of an archive of the list when 95% of the posts are
junk? Why should I put the effort into trying to find the useful
stuff in the archive if no one can be bothered to stick to the
subject matter?

I repeat my offer to host any PD related mailing list - if you think
there's a niche not being served, and are willing to help run it,
drop me a mail.

Simon
--
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]