I appreciated Bob's message, and I have found fault with the list too. Since
the msgs are not regulated, we all need to be sensitive to the words we use.
Of course, peoples' sensitivities differ. What I would like to see is less
chat (of course, chat to me may be substantial to someone else). Basically,
these e-mail lists have serious limitations. They are not "families"--most
of us don't even know one another aside from what we read here. This list
can be a source of support, but it won't work to be the only source of
support.

Guys like Charlie and Bob are great because they're level-headed; that
they're docs is a plus, but the list won't die without MDs, assuming we all
have our own neurologists. But I would miss Bob the person. We all come here
as people, very imperfect, and the "action" here is interaction more than
the facts gleaned. We thrive on differences and even on conflicts. Maybe
we've got to take some uncomfortable situations.

So my position is, yes, cool the derogatory jokes. My dream for the list is
that people be very thoughtful about what they post, and that we support one
another without expecting too much. If I leave, or Bob leaves, or anybody
leaves, it really, really doesn't change things that much. I have PD when
I'm logged off, too.

Rick, 49,47