Earlier today? I guess, this was posted. I thought this list was one of
support, and not a strictly "hard" information.  Since this seems to be the
direction the "new" vocal majority are pushing, I will not be posting
anymore of my poems.  For those wishing to recieve them, please send me an
email at [log in to unmask], or [log in to unmask], and I will start a new
mailing list.  To all those who have left or gone into lurk mode, I for one
appreciated your posts, and will miss them. Life is hard enough with this
disease, and I regret losing an outlet which gave me so much pleasure, just
as I assume those who left the list felt as well. I spent 4 hours driving
through a storm today to get to Mayo Clinic, and another 5 driving home. I
have to be back there at 8am in the morning, so I suspect it will be a short
night and a long drive again. While at Mayo, I was waiting in line when my
legs decided to quit working, and I did a spectaculor fall, bending one of
their chairs and some ribs. I am not writing this for sympathy, but just
pointing out the wonderful world of pd that we all live in or with daily. It
saddens me that the part of this list I felt was the most important, the
human part, is being de-imphasized while the medical jargon junk which I can
get anywhere, is what will be left. But as someone else said today, this
list doesn't belong to us.  Good luck to all, God Bless to those who accept
it, and Merry Christmas
bob aka tex, signing off parkinson list

The kinds of things that I would keep to a minimum on the
list include most of lifes joys and sadnesses. We all have
life experiences of birth, death and illness. This is the
common bond that all people share. Any forum public or
private could be used as a vehicle to express those life
experiences. This may not be the best place to do that.

This list , I had hoped, would focus on the PD experience of
the participants and the efforts of  others to improve the
quality of life for those of us that are caught up in this
lousy disease.

Managing the technical (hard) information about the disease
may actually be easier that managing the non-technical
(softer) side of the disease.

The hard side deals with drugs, surgery, therapy,
injections, walkers, wheel chairs tremors, rigidity etc.  We
seem to do a good job of policing mis-information in this
area. That is an important component. I have found this
aspect of the list to be invaluable.

  The soft side deals with the emotional trials, the
loneliness, lost memories, and many of our life experiences
that may be related to PD, often are unrelated to PD yet may
impact PD because it is a neurological disorder. We do not
like this area to be policed.

Poetry, praises, sympathies, day to day courtisies and
rudeness are all part of the soft side of life. They are
common to all of us and because of this commonness they are
thought to be "in our province" or within our right of free
expression. This makes them very difficult to reign in.

Unfortunately this may be exactly what the list needs to do
if it is to serve our PD needs first and foremost. While we
can not deny ourselves of these feelings, perhaps this list
should not be used for that pupose.

I think it may be time to reign in the softer more general
part of the list and expand the more focused commentary
about PD. There is a time and a place for everything.

This place (The List) is for PD sharing. The time for a
shift back to a PD focus may be now. I for one would welcome
that change.

Respectfully,

Bob Martone
http://www.samlink.com/~bmartone