Date sent:              Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:55:11 -0800
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   audrey skrzyniarz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Non PD: An idea whose time has come
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> This isnt directed at any person on the list in particular, it is in
> response after reflection in order to think what to say. For the life
> of me I can not figure out how a commonly used expression changed into
> something that some would think has political incorrect connotations.
> It isnt the way I was raised to imply or to make any slurs against any
> group or person. I wonder how innocent fun can suddenly be translated
> into something less and become a soap box once more?  Why would any
> one look so deeply for hidden intent when none exists nor was
> intended? Maybe it is time to stop and think of what some of us are
> here for besides medical information which is available many places
> outside of this list.  Isnt this list partly social, a meeting of like
> minds that are friendly at least in therory? It is possible to find
> anything one looks for in all things that transpires between two
> people. I do appreciate your post however Roger, and in case you might
> wonder about americans,  I was always taught to use a dictionary when
> one needs to know a word and its usage ...
>
> * seattle * audrey
> friend of my pwp aussie john  40/42/38?

Because one person's "fun" makes it "acceptable" for people to
ridicule, put down, generalize, and otherwise promote negative
attitudes about other people.  It doesn't matter if it is:

blondes=stupidity
Polish people=polacks
Jewish people=kikes
males=insensitive
females="gold-diggers"

These "jokes" are not "funny" to those people who have been
insulted and ridiculed in the past.  They do not belong on a public List.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"