OK, folks, it is time to fish or cut bait.  Is this List designed for
support/education, etc., for people with Parkinson's disease; or is it a
place to tell jokes, make fun of minorities, and criticize those who
object to insensitive behavior?  "Boobs", "dumb blondes", and some
of the other things which have passed for "humor" lately on this List
can be followed by "kikes", "wops", "polacks", "queers", "crips"
(which is what I have heard used to speak of PWPs before), and other
choice epithets.

I had always thought that if something was offensive to one person in
a group, that common decency dictated that the offensive behavior be
stopped for the sake of the group; but that apparently is not the belief
of the majority of the Parkinsn group.  Several people have posted to
me privately that they support my position (actually, quite a few; and
you all know who you are); but, for whatever reason, they have not
posted to the List as a whole.  Therefore, what is being posted on the
List is continuing blather as to how people like me should "live with
it".

Well, I will not "live with" acceptance of ridicule or demeaning of
human beings because they might be "different", or belong to one
gender/group/race or another.  It is against common decency; and, in
most cases, the law, as well.

I don't know how many physicians remain on the Parkinsn List.  For all
I know, I may be the last one.  I joined this List many years ago
because my father-in-law, also a physician, was afflicted with PD (I
diagnosed and treated him until he died several years ago at the age of
91), thinking that I might have something to offer the people here.  It
appears that this is no longer the case and if I try to convince folks to
be more mature and "adult", it is me who is "shouted down".

A copy of this posting is going to Barbara as well as to the List.  I will
remain here for the next few days, waiting for people to *publicly*
post their true feelings about the points that I have been trying to
make (about offensive postings under the guise of "jokes").  Unless I
see a majority of this List standing in support of sensitivity, I will
leave this List.

Maybe my usefulness is gone, anyway.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"