Date sent:              Sun, 10 Dec 2000 15:01:34 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   plmaddux <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: neuropsychological effects of DBS
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> DR Fink and/or DR. Romero and/or DR. Cris (sorry I don't have your
> exact last name handy) This article makes DBS sound very risky,
> especially for PWP's age 69 or over. I have a tremor that is not
> helped at all by any of the PD meds, and I am 65 now, thinking that
> DBS might be in my future,but I hope not for many years.  I would like
> your comments on  the contents of this posting by Linda Herman?
>
> These are just a very small portion of the orginal post.
>
> Lanier Maddux    Chattanooga Tn.
>

> Brain, Vol. 123, No. 10, 2091-2108, October 2000
> Neuropsychological consequences of chronic bilateral stimulation of
> the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's disease
>
> The major finding in the present study is that STN DBS puts elderly
> patients at risk for cognitive impairment, even in the absence of any
> signs of early or incipient dementia. In addition, the clinical motor
> improvement may be quite modest in patients older than 69 years.

The key here (as to the negative effects of DBS) has to do, I think,
with the *bilateral* aspect of the treatment.  Unilateral DBS may be
something very different.

You say that your problem is tremor.  Is that the main problem?  If so,
something like thalamotomy may be something to consider.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"