My husband is on SSA disability and was turned down twice as well, once
immediately (which I have heard is an automatic) and the second time, we
documented everything even more thoroughly and were shocked to find that he
was turned down again. As it turned out, his paperwork was lost several times
over, and his entire case was never really read thoroughly by any one person
at any one time.  He received a date for his hearing, and magically, a week
before his hearing, we received a phone call from a legal rep for SSA who
told us that his paperwork was reviewed in its entirety for the very first
time, and it was decided that he qualified for SSA.  We had hired a lawyer to
represent us and had met a few times and gone through much paperwork with
that process, also. SSA lost much of our paperwork, my daughter's original
birth certificate, and reps from there often dealt with this as if it was
somehow funny, very seldom apologetic.
We just recently had his case reviewed again, and he passed through fine,
with much paperwork again filled out.