Is this what the list has degenerated to? PD or not,
anger, frustration, whatever the excuse, "shut up" is
WAY out of line.

If I may say my 50 cents worth  - I've been around this
list since it was created and I've seen this very same
argument come up at least once a year. Different
people, same problem. We survived because there is a
core of people who are dedicated to the survival of
this list. However, we have chased away hundreds
because of this problem.

Did you ever wonder where all the hundreds of people
are that subscribe to this list? No doubt, like me and
many others, they just flat stopped writing. I receive
the list in digest form, pick out what I consider
important to read and skip over the rest. The reason I
stopped writing is because of these arguments and
because some very good friends were chased off by the
core of censors on both sides. I have no desire to
banter back and forth about right and wrong (except
when it comes to people saying. "Shut up.") My time and
my life is too valuable to sink to that level.

What I hate to see is the continued loss of good people
with excellent minds - Janet, Marjorie, Dr. Bob, Gail,
Sandra, Don (who might be the greatest person alive),
Junita, Bernie, Joan and all the others who write so
well and express so richly about not only what we must
all live with, but about the wonders of this life
around us.

I am not a Professional PWP. I have it, it bothers me,
I try to learn everything I can about it, I want a cure
and I want it to go away. But there is a whole lot more
going on in the world that is more important to me than
PD. My sense of self, my love for others, my
spirituality has been deeply enriched by letters
written from those on this list. I treasure those
letters and those souls living in the bodies of our
members. Without them, without this list, I would not
have grown to what I am.

We can't crawl off to Barb P. every time we get in a
snit, nor should we sink to the "Shut Up" level when we
disagree. Begging for a sense of maturity is useless.
We can only ignore those who transgress our moral level
and search and hold dear those gems of wisdom others so
often share.

I threatened to walk away once when some folks
questioned Margaret Tuchman (who no longer gets this
list) and her honesty. A long time ago I almost quit
when David Boots left (because of this very same
problem). I won't leave anymore because I hold many in
this group in high value for their minds and because
they are so willing to share. From them I learn, and I
have a lot to learn about this life and those to come.

Dr. Bob, switch to digest form, do a fast scan, ignore
those who dwell in mindless chatter, treasure the gems,
answer what you wish. This phase will pass soon, yet to
arise again sometime next year. Help those who want
your help, skip over those who don't want your help.
But stay with us.

And for those who question where I stand, I disagree
with everyone (except Don, who remains my favorite
guy).

Jerry Finch

* Tracking #: F9AF4F6A5A5F0B4ABE7714CA4B3E56AA39D4EDE8
*
--
Habitat for Horses, Inc.
A lifetime home for abused, endangered horses.