I read this list every day.  Every single message.  Out of the 150+ daily
messages, I find very little information on Parkinsons -- just the odd scrap
or two that can actually be applied to every day life.

My observation is that the majority of messages are from about 20
individuals who maintain a community and find comfort in communicating
amongst themselves about a variety of subjects which may or may not be
related to Parkinsons.  If there are hundreds of list subscribers, as the
list claims, then they must be part of the silent majority, such as myself.

This strong sense of community is somewhat intimidating and yes, it has made
me feel excluded in a sense -- as if I am an outsider looking in to a club.
Those strong posters who dominate the message board have (probably quite
unintentionally and unbeknownst to themselves) sequestered the list for
their own use through their bonding.

I have asked a few questions to this List in the past -- to which I have
received (a few) personal answers.  Despite that my questions were posted
publicly, I received private answers -- so the knowledge was not spread.
Since the thread ended quickly (1 generation), there was no further
discussion.

The environment is not such that, as in another list to which I subscribe, I
feel I can interject and jump in with advice, questions or comments.  In
fact, because I do not have Parkinsons, I was even told this was not the
list for me -- this was a list for Parkinsons support only, which I took to
understand that this is a mutual support List (and not a place where all and
any aspect of Parkinsons is discussed).   This is one of the reasons I read
only, but I don't participate.

Since my father (the PWP) is beyond the benefits of mutual support in terms
of the encroachment of the disease (he is quite ill) -- I merely look on
this list to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar situation and if
we can share thoughts on how to make it easier on everyone involved.

There seems to be some communication on the direction this list is taking,
so the above merely is a response based on my observations and experience.
I am not critical of the list.  And I am still thankful for the 1 or 2 bits
of information I glean from this list.

Sincerely,
-Robert