Lanier

Am making a film on PD which features STN DBS surgery. The experts/surgeons
have talked to here in the UK say the STN may not be the best target if
tremor is your main problem: the  STN is the best target when drugs have
stopped giving any mobility or are provoking intolerable dyskinesias.
Traditionally, lesioning the thalamus has been the main surgical treatment
for tremor (and it was the surgery Michael J Fox had - perhaps a little
inadvisedly because his tremor was probably just an early symptom rather
than the main feature of his Parkinson's to come). But thalamotomies not
done so often now.

That said, as part of my research for the film, I saw sub-STN DBS done for
multiple sclerosis tremor which was fantastically effective.

My advise would be: ask as many questions, read everything you can, and talk
to as many people as you can before making up your mind. There isn't a whole
lot of consensus even among experts which means you have to do a big trawl
for information and then decide for yourself.

Jemima