Hi Ivan - you have given my brain a good teaser this morning.  I read your
report about your dad spraying the roses, and it reminded me of a home visit
I made about 12 yrs ago.  I had a client call my office and tell me the
varieties of vegetables and fruit I had recommended were no good, because he
had nothing bearing fruit.  When I went to his house, his garden was
beautiful - huge plants, beautiful leaves, and no fruit at all... As I
walked through the garden, I noticed there were no insects flying at all -
and no signs of insects on any leaves, etc.  I asked him what he had
sprayed, and he told me dursban - but I had found others who mixed
pesticides wrong etc., so I asked to see the can - he pulled out a red and
white container, that was over 20 yrs old, and did NOT contain dursban,
diazinon etc.  I have been wracking my brain all morning trying to remember
what the product was - it was a white powder, very dangerous, but extremely
effective insecticide.  I went to my files to try to kick start my memory,
and pulled some old (OLD) gov't publications out - the one from1948
recommended spraying orchards with DDT, lead arsenate, and ethylene
dichloride.  The suburban gardening guide from 1967 said to call your county
agent ....  and I still can't remember the insecticide name I am trying to
think of.  It was used for termite control until the 80's, but it had to be
buried in the soil because it had a half life of 30 yrs....maybe someone
else can come up with a name.
If I do remember the name, I will pass it on to you off list.
bob aka tex