[log in to unmask] wrote:
>        The Physicians' Desk Reference   55th edition   2001    www.pdr.net
>                is fresh from the press. One brief peek revealed :
>
>                           TASMAR
>                              tolcapone
>                                 Tablets
>                 Before prescribing TASMAR the phtsician should be thoroughly
>             familiar with the details of this prescribing information.
>                  TASMAR should not be used by patients until there has
>            been a complete discussion if the risks and the patient has
>            provided  written informed consent.

Altogether a depressing situation. Roche must have thought they had a
real winner, only to be bushwhacked by a rare circumstance that they
couldn't foresee, which implied a risk that IMHO can never be proven
one way or the other. On one hand we have a top PD scientist boldly
stating that, with proper monitoring precautions, Tasmar is "perfectly
safe" to use; but it seems that most European nations (Chris VdL, can
you verify?} have still not approved it for use. Possibly because the
initial recommended blood testing may fail to give adequate warning
when it's most needed. And any trial to test that would be far too
dangerous to the trial subjects. More's the pity, since Comtan, the
only other COMT antagonist now available, isn't near so effective
against PD. Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694