Phil,

I was recently approved for Social Security Disability on the first try.
However, I have chatted with other PD patients who were not so lucky.  When I
applied, I read the rules carefully, and on my application I tried to
describe my condition in a way which directly and explicitly answered SSA's
questions.  I treated it like an "essay test" (including attaching sheets to
allow for thorough answers).

Determining SSD eligibility requires one to meet a list of criteria
sequentially (i.e. if you meet the first criterion, go on to the second,
etc.).  The first criterion is that you are not working, which is defined as
making less than $700 (or $750?) a month.  The next criterion is that the
disease or condition which keeps you from working must be severe (subjective?
yes, but the application contains some concrete examples to guide you).  The
next criterion is whether or not your disease is on the list of impairments
which qualify one for SSD, and you have apparently noticed that Parkinsonism
is on the list.  NOTE that you must meet the first two criteria before you
can refer to the list.  I also noticed that the Parkinsonism listing had some
qualifications to it; i.e., certain symptoms must be apparent.  The first
symptom is bradykinesia.  At that point I qualified (e.g. it has taken me
over an hour to type this message), so I'm not really conversant in the
remaining criteria.

Also, be persistent when following up after you file your application.
Interestingly enough, Social Security (a FEDERAL program) first sends your
application to your STATE's Disability Determination Office.  This is where
so many applications get denied, a decision which is usually overturned once
the applicant hires a lawyer to assist with the appeal.  Find out which state
government office does Soc. Sec. Disab. determinations; then contact that
office ASAP to make sure they have received it and find out who is handling
it.  Always be courteous, of course, but never let them forget that you are
monitoring their work (after all, you are a tax payer, and they work for
you).  If they request further information (reasonable or not), get it to
them within 24 hours (just to set a good example).  In my case, I called
every week for a couple of months and had to get an additional medical record
which was not even relevant.  This really tried my patience, but I think it
assured that my application was handled properly (if not quickly).

Please do not construe this as advice from a lawyer (which I am not) or even
an expert.  I do have considerable experience in researching federal
regulations, and that came in handy when I was learning the SSD rules (it
probably saved me a legal fee).

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Rees Jenkins