> I was reading Fran's account of Rotenone and other
> pesticides, while she handled fish, when I remembered
> that my father used to spray TONS of white "rose dust"
> to kill Japanese beetles on mom and dad's roses, wiht
> me following him around the back yard, awestruck
> by his moon explorers'  gear, to protect his face and hands.

When we lived in North Carolina our organic garden was infested with aphids.
It didn't take long for the resident lady bugs to understand their
opportunity to participate in   a movable feast - thus allowing us to enjoy
one of the most spectacular, delicious and safe crops of vegetables
(particularly peas) imaginable.

A friend of ours in N.C.  loved his roses and sprayed them in an effort to
save them from  voracious Japanese beetles.  He dutifully baptized them with
a spray before he left on vacation one year.  We never saw him alive again.
He developed an 'idiopathic encephalopathy' that killed him within two
weeks.  The cause was attributed to the spray he had used - but because the
case was difficult to prove his wife received no compensation.  Since no
infectious organism was identified and other people using the spray had
suffered a variety of neurological insults, the spray was the probable cause
of his affliction.  He was only 32 years old.
------
God bless
Mary Ann