JORGE, YOU SAID,
"It is very clear that the purpose of these peer reviews is to weed out the
(very) bad apples."
It's worse then that. An anesthesiologist who I am very well acquainted with
was in a peer review group regarding the death of a young girl. They decided
the Doctor was totally negligent.

But they were informed that if they recommended he be discharged, they could
be sued individually for depriving him of his livelihood.
Their Insurance would not cover them and They dropped the ball.
AS far as I know the man is still in practice in the same hospital.
WE need non-peer review, but that smacks of beauracracy which also has
problems.