 Ivan Suzman        51/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses        17   deg. F   :-)
Dear friends.

  I just don't understand  this world of ours sometimes.

   I am being put " on trial"  in a  tiny, uncomfortable,
Department of  Human Services hearing room.

   This started two weeks ago, and is  now continued
until  Jan. 2nd.  An OPENLY homophobic R.N. , who is
also the federal rules regulator for Maine's Medicaid
programs for nursing and home care, is my principal evaluator.

  As recently as May. 1999 , she attacked my "lifestyle,"
and now, she has cut my care attendant services DRASTICALLY.

  Every October since 1992, my PCA (personal attendant
services) have been assessed , based, I seem to believe, on the"Med 94"
form.
As PD progressed, my need slowly rose up to the max. of 13 hours of PCA
help per day,
for which I have been very, very grateful. Overnight care was added
in 1996. The same 13 hr. daytime assesssment of my need was repeated
in 1999.  That help has made it possible for me to survive,
sometimes thrive, and even help many others with PD.

The new,  2000 assessment, based on two simultaneous but
different sets of criteria, instead of just one, is to CUT my hours back
to 5hrs. each day, cut from 13 per day.   5 hours was thelevel I needed
in 1995.
That's a 63% cut,  with  absolutely no warning ! !  I feel like the only
way
I can deal with this whole MESS is to laugh- and pray - it is so
nutsy-cukoo.

One of the assessors  has , when I have complained that the night
crew is underpaid, blamed the limited night crews for me on
my supposed "lifestyle" . She  is blatantly
unevolved, when it comes to matters of human variations.
 I have only one lifestyle, and that is Parkinsonian!!!!!

  Now I have appealed the cut in my services to the Maine
Department  of Human Services,-to Hearing Officer Ronald Stoodley.
On January 2nd  at 9 AM, I will be " on trial" --isn't this CRAZY?--
examined  by a Mr. Tuttle, assigned to my case,  and CROSS EXAMINED by
the Maine
State's Assi;stant Attorney - General, Kathleen Ross,
who is on the side of the those who wish to  cut my services.

On my side is a disability rights lawyer, Paul Tuttle,  from the
federally funded Disability Rights Project.  I qualify for help
under the "least restrictive environment" principle.

All this  quasi-courtroom drama is enough to make me
scream, cry and puke!!  And it is exhausting me!

I just don't get it...even though I am visible, as an activist
for PWP's. isn't there a more mature way to get this
MESS without putting me through an arduous ordearl,
this Hearing-on tape, just like in courts of law??

Ivan Suzman
:-)