Ben, Nancy, and others who commented off-list: Your inquiries are
similar enough to justify this 'blanket' response:
The question of PD drug choices is a long story of much scientific
debate, which I suspect may go on forever. Even if I were qualified
to give medical advice, I don't have the time to tell it fairly; but
here are a few points that come to mind:
-Instead of consensus among authorities, there is more like a spectrum
of opinion, with big differences regarding efficacy and adverse risks
of any particular drug or combination.
-The response of any individual patient to a given drug protocol is
different from all the others; magic for one may be a dismal failure
for another, and several trials may be needed  to find the best fit.
-The new agonist Pramipexole (the example cited) is good for CD as
well as the common motor symptoms of PD; but I suspect that just
about anything which counteracts the loss of dopamine may also help.
-Functions of the various neurotransmitters (or their artificial
replacements) probably overlap. Serotonin, the usual target of
treatment for CD, may affect motor function as well. One extreme in
the spectrum of learned opinion is that raising availability of
serotonin (by, for example, Prozac) alone may be effective in PD.
And the neurotransmitter dopamine, which mediates motor function,
certainly has antidepressant qualities as well.
-A famous airplane designer coined the slogan: "Simplicate, And Add
More Lightness", and that goes for PD therapy too. Every drug, even
the "gold standard" Sinemet, has its own set of evil side effects
for a few unfortunate users and, IMHO, the fewer I can get away with,
the better. I don't like the threat that levodopa (in Sinemet) may
hasten the progression of my PD, or cause dyskinesias that could be
disabling. But I also don't like having to quit driving because of
sudden sleep blackouts from Pramipexole, troubling delusions or
hallucinations from Parlodel, or worsening of motor symptoms by
any of the antidepressants, and so on.
-Just as in any other life decision, the choice of drugs for treating
PD involves tradeoff of benefits vs risks. And because the PD patient
has more time than any doctor to observe his own reactions, he should
participate actively in deciding which course of treatment to follow.
Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694