I want to thank Linda Herman for providing us with the DBS neuropsychology
studies. The 11 patient study is now a part of P-I-E-N-O at:

http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com

Two of us on the list, Margaret Tuchman and my self are scheduled for DBS
the later part of this and the first part of next month. Many here have
already had the procedure and are enjoying the fruits of technology.

I would like for us to discuss the 11 patient study and compare the results
with the experiences of those who have already had the procedure.

Every major teaching center is conducting studies on the neuropsychological
and neurophysiological effects of stimulation on the cognitive process.
Several are in the NYU Medical Center study and I am in a local study here
in Oklahoma City.

The 11 patient study said:

The non-predominate hand was weaker after dbs.

Rapid visual scanning and transposition were also found to be impaired.

Bimanual co-ordination may decline following bilateral STN DBS, especially
under conditions involving divided attention.

Some patients complained of feeling ‘more clumsy’ yet ‘quicker’, probably
indicating their reduction in bradykinesia, but had increased difficulties
when motor tasks required more complex mental processes for successful
execution.

The majority of patients declined significantly on phonemic fluency and
category/semantic fluency and did not recover over the first follow-up year.

When did you have your dbs procedure done?

What if any of the above did you experience?

In your opinion are you optimally tuned?

Have you had any behavioral changes?

What percentage reduction of medication have you achieved since your
procedure?

Is your attention span less now?

Have you noticed any degradation of your creative skills since the procedure?

Is multi-tasking more difficult now?

If you were given anti-seizure medicine after the procedure, how long did
you have to take it?

                   Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
                Catch the Parkinsn's List Online messages at:
               http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com
             Click the Parkinsn Online Email link
John Cottingham