Parkinson's Book Dedicated to Lima's Don McKinley

October 2000 - Lima, Ohio - His ballcap, emblazoned with his "Parkinson's
is not for sissies" motto, says it all.

Lima resident Don McKinley has lived with Parkinson's disease for 31 years
now, and his helpfulness to others has been rewarded.

A new book titled "Voices from the Parking Lot: parkinson's insights and
perspectives", has been dedicated to McKinley, 76.

The book, published by the Parkinson Alliance earlier this year, includes
poems and writings by those with Parkinson's disease.

The disease causes tremors and rigidity after dopamine-producing cells in
the brain die.

McKinley was honoured because he is so active on the alliance's Web site,
chatting with people with Parkinson's and posting positive thoughts.

When McKinley was diagnosed, he went into a serious depression.

He owned his own construction company at the time and took pride in working
hard and playing hard, too.

Eventually, he pulled himself out of the depression once he came to terms
with the diagnosis.

"I decided God gave me Parkinson's because I can help somebody", McKinley
said.

Since then, McKinley, with his wife's help, has stayed determined to have
the best quality of life possible.

For Information
"Voices from the Parking Lot: parkinson's insights and perspectives"
is available through the Parkinson Alliance for $25.00 per copy.
Call 1-800-579-8440
or e-mail
or visit
http://www.parkinsonalliance.net

by Adrienne McGee
419-993-2072
http://www.limanews.com/

Don McKinley's Web Site:
http://www.geocities.com/doncyberdadmckinley/

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now /44 dx cd / 43 onset cd /41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/