hi all

At 08:45 2000/12/27 -0600, someone claiming to be john cottingham wrote:
>Regularly some exhibit PMS (Parkinsn's Masochistic Syndrome). Symptoms
>generally start to occur just before a weekend. Compulsive posters generally
>are at greater risk for developing this disorder...

sado-masochism is a well-known and well-documented personality disorder;
it is not limited to parkies [me] or essential tremour-ers [you?]

>Hurt feelings generally drives some away...only to return later....

hurt feelings can result from the idea that we are vulnerable
and we may need to run away and hide for 'protection'

but we are not vulnerable and so we cannot be hurt

that realisation confirms our own strength
and may lead us back to where
we can share it best

>Others take sides not knowing the harm they do by perpetuating
>the disagreement in the sake of "friendship". ...

i don't think i agree with this - it's too limited in scope ...

i think others take sides
because of the way they feel about the issue
about fairness
about what they feel is right
about what they feel 'should' be allowed to happen to this "their" pd
cyber-home

if my friend expresses an idea that i think is goofy
i retain the right to argue the idea;
doing so does not mean that i have judged my friend as goofy

>We are all "acquaintences" rather than friends folks.
>We only share the interest "of" Parkinson's...

oh my, i disagree passionately with you here!

i have met people here whom i love dearly and who love me
and who will be and have been kindred spirits

we are what we bring to this place
[to quote some of your own previous words back to you, john!!!]

if we bring acquaintance-ship
that is that we will find

if we bring generosity and helpfulness
that is what we will find

if we bring mistrust and manipulation
that is what we will find

if we bring love
that is what we will find

as i have said before
what i think i want is what i think i see and what i think i get
(WITIWIWITISWITIG)

>Not all people that participate on Parkinsn were angels
>in their other life so in times of stress they revert
>back to the way they were "before"....

absolutely true
stress is a great stressor!

and lots of us,
after grieving and accepting the diagnosis and our 'fate',
have learned that our previous life was not perfect [duuuhhh!]
and feel that pd is a wake-up call to re-prioritize,
and that process of re-evaluation is scary in and of itself

>Since it is predictable when PMS occurs, the darkness...before
>the dawn, there are medications that can help....

i don't understand what you mean here -
i have not seen any relationship between
circadian ryhthms and the "personal attack" cycle -
which seems to be purely reactionary in nature

>They are not an instant panecia...they take time, refrain
>from attacking until you receive the help you and your list
>family deserve...

i'm not sure if you are talking about anti-depressants or tranquilizers here;
surely you don't advocate the calm [read numb] pseudo-atmosphere of
"one flew over the cuckoo's nest" or some such?

support means allowing us to vent our anger and frustration in safety
as well as our silliness and joys and our victories
and our indignation and even our irrationality
without fear of attack or punishment or judgment of our actions
when needed

to this end
our liberal list-mom lets us post anything at all
but only frowns on personal attacks on other list-members

to my mind, this isn't much of a restriction;
there's a lot of 'stuff' i can rant and rave about
other than my parkie-siblings!

>Historically, we are just here for a season and I have seen
>progression of the "helpers" come and serve and go. Where
>did they go? Some are just lurking, just waiting to appear
>when true help is needed. Others have discovered that instead
>of living in a declining neighborhood, they wish to move on
>with their resources, time and effort and help others that are
>more rational.

a declining neighbourhood?
holy cow, john!
this just doesn't sound like you at all!
you are usually much more supportive and positive of barb's gift
to the pd cyber world

the facts are, as i see them,
that you and simon coles and jerry finch and camilla flintermann
and on and on are and have been the most helpful people around for years
and years
and you ain't gone nowhere!

i hope to heck you don't feel that your work here
hasn't been appreciated! because it has!

>Parkinsn is more than a patient advocacy group. Parkinsn is a
>caregiver for those without. Being a caregiver is thankless.
>Actions rather than words express our appreciation.

and again,
holy moly, john!
maybe sometimes caregiving can be thankless,
but i have seen more expressions of gratitude here both in word and in deed
than anywhere else
period

janet

ps
i have taken the liberty of modifying your acronym slightly
since "PMS" is already taken and widely regcognised

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now /44 dx cd / 43 onset cd /41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/