hi all

At 20:58 2000/12/27 -0500, mary ann wrote, in part:
>... Another neuro visited our support group and once again apprised
>us of the fact  that Eldpryl was a non-useful med and probably should be
>dropped from my husband's drug regimen.  She was adamant that studies had
>indicated that Eldepryl not only didn't work for PD, but actually
>accentuated  dyskinesia - a major problem for my husband...

i would have thought that the increased dyskinesia
was an indication of too much available levodopa -
which could have been a normally desirable
symptomatic effect of the selegiline...
which would have meant that rather than not working,
the eldepryl-selegiline was working rather well!
and might have enabled your husband to reduce his levodopa intake

>Once again, we stopped the drug (titrated, really) and
>once again my husband 'hit the wall.'...
>It is important to listen to doctor's advice - but it is also imperative
>to recognize what reactions  occur when meds are taken.  Our neurologist
>doesn't argue when we suggest a med works - or doesn't.  While we never
>increase a med without consulting our neurologist, we have decreased, and
>sometimes stopped (after titrating) meds that cause problems.  Our
>neurologist is aware and doesn't object...

i agree with you wholeheartedly here!

we each respond differently to the meds
and we each are the best 'consultant' on whether
a med is working or not working for us

i guess the moral might be
that we should listen to our medicos' advice
and that they in turn should listen to our opinions too;
management of pd is a group effort!

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now /44 dx cd / 43 onset cd /41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/