Hi Don---  this is a  real warning, but not a new one.  As you will see
from the excerpt below (from the About.com website)  there are many
versions, not all accurate, so the datails aren't always  good.
That's why they suggest referring folks to the "scambusters" website listed
below.

NOT YOUR FAULT ! --- but just a suggestion to others on the list as to how
to handle it.  Thanks for being on the alert and keeping an eye out for
things that could trouble us !

FROM: About.com-- http://urbanlegends.about.com/:

Sightings, Notes & Updates

                               809 Area Code Phone Scam

                               08/05/99 - Various alerts are now
circulating warning consumers not to
                               comply with phone, pager or email requests
to dial numbers beginning
                               with the 809 area code to "settle an unpaid
account" or "collect a
                               wonderful prize," etc.  According to these
alerts, the area code is in the
                               Caribbean and can be set up as a
"pay-per-call" number (like 900 numbers
                               in the U.S.).  People who respond to these
requests can get stuck with
                               whopping phone bills for international call.

                               This information is basically true. The
email warnings originated from an
                               article published several years ago in
Internet ScamBusters, a respectable
                               newsletter that keeps subscribers apprised
of current frauds and scams. A
                               more recent AT&T publication confirms that
the scam is real and still
                               active.

                               Multiple versions of the email exist because
people can and do alter such
                               texts before forwarding them on, which means
any specific message you
                               receive may or may not contain accurate
details.

                               For that reason, recipients are best advised
not to forward the email
                               warnings, but rather share the URL of this
updated article from the
                               original source:

                               http://www.scambusters.org/809Scam.html

                               UPDATE: Why has this 1996 alert been revived
years later?  Netlore
                               watcher David Spalding ventures a theory in
Hoax du Jour.

SNIPPED

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at  http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm
           and also at  http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at
http://www.crosswinds.net/~caregivers/index.html