John and everyone,
Re your DBS questions -

>Every major teaching center is conducting studies on the neuropsychological
>and neurophysiological effects of stimulation on the cognitive process.
>Several are in the NYU Medical Center study and I am in a local study here
>in Oklahoma City.
>
>The 11 patient study said:

>When did you have your dbs procedure done?     MAY 1999
>
>What if any of the above did you experience?
>The non-predominate hand was weaker after dbs. NO
>
>Rapid visual scanning and transposition were also found to be impaired. NO
>
>Bimanual co-ordination may decline following bilateral STN DBS, especially
>under conditions involving divided attention.
>NOT SURE
>Some patients complained of feeling 'more clumsy' yet 'quicker', probably
>indicating their reduction in bradykinesia, but had increased difficulties
>when motor tasks required more complex mental processes for successful
>execution. YES
>
>The majority of patients declined significantly on phonemic fluency and
>category/semantic fluency and did not recover over the first follow-up year.
>YES SIGNIFICANT DECREASE.
>In your opinion are you optimally tuned?
>PROBABLY
>Have you had any behavioral changes?
>LESS  MOTIVATION TO INITIATE AND DO THINGS
>What percentage reduction of medication have you achieved since your
>procedure? FROM 9-10  SINEMET PER DAY TO 1/2 TAB /DAY  REQUIP 22 MG / DAY
>TO  6 MG /DAY AMANTIDINE STAYED AT 300 MG/DAY

>Is your attention span less now?
>SOME DECREASE
>Have you noticed any degradation of your creative skills since the procedure?
>MILD
>Is multi-tasking more difficult now?
>NO
>If you were given anti-seizure medicine after the procedure, how long did
>you have to take it?
>NOT GIVEN

EVEN WITH THE NEGATIVES I  RECOMMEND THE PROCEDURE FOR THOSE WHO ARE
SEVERELY DEBILITATED BY PD.  I  NO LONGER FREEZE- EVER- AND HAVE MORE
MOBILITY THAN BEFORE  THE SURGERY.  I AM ABLE TO DRIVE SHORT DISTANCES AND
NO LONGER USE MY WHEEL CHAIR EXCEPT FOR TRAVELING.  I USE A WALKER BECAUSE
OF POLIO I HAD AS A CHILD BUT CAN WALK SHORT DISTANCES UNASSISTED.

GOOD LUCK JOHN AND MARGARET.

CHARLIE

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI