John and everyone,
Re your DBS questions -

Every major teaching center is conducting studies on the neuropsychological
and neurophysiological effects of stimulation on the cognitive process.
Several are in the NYU Medical Center study and I am in a local study here
in Oklahoma City.

The 11 patient study said:

When did you have your dbs procedure done?     MAY 1999

What if any of the above did you experience?
The non-predominate hand was weaker after dbs. NO

Rapid visual scanning and transposition were also found to be impaired. NO

Bimanual co-ordination may decline following bilateral STN DBS, especially
under conditions involving divided attention.
NOT SURE
Some patients complained of feeling ‘more clumsy’ yet ‘quicker’, probably
indicating their reduction in bradykinesia, but had increased difficulties
when motor tasks required more complex mental processes for successful
execution. YES

The majority of patients declined significantly on phonemic fluency and
category/semantic fluency and did not recover over the first follow-up year.
YES SIGNIFICANT DECREASE.
In your opinion are you optimally tuned?
PROBABLY
Have you had any behavioral changes?
LESS  MOTIVATION TO INITIATE AND DO THINGS
What percentage reduction of medication have you achieved since your
procedure? FROM 9-10  SINEMET PER DAY TO 1/2 TAB /DAY  REQUIP 22 MG / DAY TO  6 MG /DAY AMANTIDINE STAYED AT 300 MG/DAY

Is your attention span less now?
SOME DECREASE
Have you noticed any degradation of your creative skills since the procedure?
MILD
Is multi-tasking more difficult now?
NO
If you were given anti-seizure medicine after the procedure, how long did
you have to take it?
NOT GIVEN

EVEN WITH THE NEGATIVES I  RECOMMEND THE PROCEDURE FOR THOSE WHO ARE SEVERELY DEBILITATED BY PD.  I  NO LONGER FREEZE- EVER- AND HAVE MORE MOBILITY THAN BEFORE  THE SURGERY.  I AM ABLE TO DRIVE SHORT DISTANCES AND NO LONGER USE MY WHEEL CHAIR EXCEPT FOR TRAVELING.  I USE A WALKER BECAUSE OF POLIO I HAD AS A CHILD BUT CAN WALK SHORT DISTANCES UNASSISTED.

GOOD LUCK JOHN AND MARGARET.

CHARLIE

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI