Greg said:
> >Jerry,
> >Don't take this List so seriously.  It will probably
> >live outlive most of us.  Life is too short to be
> >perpetually anal.
> >
> >Just a personal curiosity.   I noticed your email
> >address is "habitatforhorses".  What on earth is that
> >all about?  Do you travel the country building homes
> >for horses?  Are you the horse version of Jimmy Carter?
> >Just wondered. Greg  48/35/35

"...perpetually anal." I love it! Perfect description!

I don't take this list personal, Greg. But I've seen
what good this list can do, and I've been around here
for a LONG time (way before Barb P.). Once, when I was
first DXed with PD, I sat before the computer and wrote
page after page to the list when it was on AOL, asking,
complaining, bitchin' moanin' and groanin' about the
injustice of it all. Thanks to some wonderful people,
like Vern Dauphin, Barb P. and a dozen others, I got
over it. I'm sure I wore a lot of folks out as they
tried to explain to me the ups and downs of PD. They
hung in there with me, just like I'm asking the current
crew to do with the new guys.

And they encouraged me. "Write it out," they said.
"Don't hold back." I wrote stories, poems, personal
reflections - and with each key stroke I released the
anxiety I was facing.

News articles about DBS help those of us who are deep
into the PD stages, but the newbies need help dealing
with rejection by their friends, the loss of work, sex,
the effects of Sinemet. They will always ask the
questions about "Can I break a Sinemet CR in half?"
"Should I apply for SSDI?" "How fast will I go
downhill?" Supplying those answers, listening to their
fears, offering hope, helping them face reality and
destroying their feeling of doom is probably the MOST
important function this list can do.

But look at the difference between today's post and two
days ago. Christmas poems, offers of help, reflections,
all of these are here today. This is what makes a
community. This is what a lot of people with PD want
and need because otherwise they really would be alone.
The "Want Ads" list was a perfect example of harmless
humor, something I'm sure many printed out and showed
their spouse, laughing. Totally non-PD, but rich in its
gift of joy. And the Christmas Story about the cup of
tea. Again, non-PD, but excellent for many, for the
moment's pause of thought and warmth it brings.

The sense of community for the old timers is the second
most important reason for this list.

I don't "need" the list at this point in my life, but I
know that others do. This list saved me and it will
save many more - if we keep it alive. Yes, I'm
"perpetually anal" about this list. In fact, I consider
that a compliment.

Horses are now keeping me alive. But that's another
story.

Jerry

* Tracking #: 5AC0038D03513049BC4AF18AC8761EAA9BE40914
*
--
Help us save the horses! Habitat for Horses, Inc.
A lifetime home for abused, endangered horses.