Mary: Sinemet (or the ingredient therein) competes with protein for a pathway
to the brain and the conventional wisdom is to limit protein intake for a
period of time prior to taking the medicene. List members have suggested
anywhere from 15 minutes to one hour as the period between taking sinemet and
eating a protein laden meal. while there has been lots of discussion abbout
the 'before' eating time period there hasn't been much about how long to wait
to eat AFTER taking the medicene. Since you take your medication every two
hours, it would seem as if you are walking a fine line in the before/after
discussion. I would guess that if you could perhaps wait an hour after
medication to eat and wait a longer period after eating you might be more
successful. One way to accomplish this would be to change from regular
sinemet to sinemet CR, say 25/100. The Cr version means "controlled release
and has the effect of lasting longer. So dor the sake of arguement, use
sinemet CR 25/100 every 4 hours instead of your current regime. CAUTION
PLEASE! I'm not a doctor...just an engineer with PD who reads all the
non-nonsense posts on the list. While you are not likely to do any permanent
damage by following the above advice to see if it works for you, it would be
best to discuss it with your Neuro who will in any event have to write a new
prescription if he agrees.

Regards,

Paul H. Lauer