  From: Edith S. Love
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 5:41 PM
  Subject: Re: Interesting things to know

    * 1. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were
    * secured on bed frames by
    * ropes when you pulled on the ropes the
    * mattress tightened,
    * making the bed firmer to sleep on.
    * That's where the phrase,
    * "goodnight, sleep tight" came from.

    * It was the accepted practice in Babylon
    * 4,000 years ago that for
    * a month after the wedding, the bride's
    * father would supply his
    * son-in-law with all the mead he could
    * drink. Mead is a honey
    * beer, and because their calendar was
    * lunar based, this period
    * was called the "honey month" or what we
    * know today as the
    * honeymoon."

    * In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints
    * and quarts. So in old
    * England, when customers got unruly, the
    * bartender would yell
    * at them to mind their own pints and
    * quarts and settle down.
    * It's where we get the phrase "mind your
    * P's and Q's."

    * Many years ago in England, pub
    * frequenters had a whistle baked
    * into the rim or handle of their
    * ceramic cups. When they needed
    * a refill, they used the whistle to get
    * some service. "Wet your
    * whistle," is the phrase inspired by
    * this practice.

    * In ancient England a person could not
    * have sex unless you had
    * consent of the King (unless you were in
    * the Royal Family).
    * When anyone wanted to have a baby, they
    * got consent of the
    * King & the King gave them a placard
    * that they hung on their
    * door while they were having sex.
    * The placard had F.U.C.K.
    * (Fornication Under Consent of the King)
    * on it. Now you know
    * where that came from.

  <<<<