hi all

i have been asked why i have withdrawn from my volunteer work there

after 8 months of apparently acceptable [unpaid] work
in reviewing the Parkinson's disease category,
my editing was suddenly subject to override by editors
from other non-related categories without explanation
[considered a massive breach of editing netiquette
at the odp as described in their guidelines]

web sites have been repeatedly added to the pd category
which clearly do not meet the odp guidelines

web sites which were added by myself
and which did meet the odp guidelines
were either deleted or were heavily edited

sites deleted from my most recent listing were:
kathrynne holden's
bob armentrout's
joe bruman's
murray charters'
joan snyder's mention of "voices from the parking lot"
jim finn's
barbara patterson's
the PARKINSN page at L-Soft
camilla flintermann's
art hirsch's

i can only surmise as to the reasoning behind such actions
but they are on record as fact in the odp editing logs

until i hear a better theory,
i consider it a meaningless attempt to 'sabotage' the pd cyber community

luckily i am not the only one questioning the odp's editing policies
their talk has not matched their walk in the past year
possibly due to repercussions in ownership:
the Open Directory Project started out as an all volunteer effort
sponsored by Netscape, of open and free browser fame
but now, of course, is owned by AOL/Time-Warner
who might be better advised to pay for the editing work they want done

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now /44 dx cd / 43 onset cd /41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/