Linda Herman found a MEDSCAPE report on the Sixth
International Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement
Disorders (in Barcelona, in June 2000) and, on 20 Dec 2000,
posted it on PARKINSN. Thank you, Linda, for pointing me to
a very interesting report. While my message - below - deals
with a flaw in that report, that in no way diminishes my
appreciation of your contribution.

The Medscape report, by P MAZZONI MD PhD, includes
a summary of a presentation by W OERTEL. That summary
seems to be wrong. It differs in some important respects -
see below - from a report which I believe is the actual
conference abstract for the Oertel presentation.

I compared the Medscape summary of the Oertel presentation
with the report prepared by E-MOVE and posted on PARKINSN
some months ago. As far as I can tell, the E-MOVE report is
the actual conference abstract [no. M86], published in
Movement Disorders 2000; 15 (suppl. 3); see it at
http://www.wemove.org/emove/article.asp?ID=223 .

Oertel's presentation described the 3-year study known as
PELMOPET, designed to compare pergolide (Permax) with
levodopa, when one or the other is administered as initial
monotherapy. There exist published studies concerning the
use of pergolide as adjunct therapy, along with levodopa,
but PELMOPET is - I believe - the first study to consider
long-term (and initial) monotherapy with pergolide; and it
is the first study to look at long-term (and initial)
monotherapy with pergolide in comparison with similar use of
levodopa. Clearly, PELMOPET considers important questions.

The MEDSCAPE summary states that "the participants were 44
patients in the early stages of PD ...". If that were true,
I would not pay much attention to this study. For the sort
of questions considered by the study, a sample of 44
subjects would be much too small. In fact, according to the
abstract provided by E-MOVE, the study involved "two hundred
ninety-four de novo PD patients". With such a large sample,
the results of the study (to which I'll return in a
subsequent posting) are quite credible.

My point is this:  PELMOPET is an important study, with
credible results. The careless error by Mazzoni in the
Medscape summary would lead the reader to dismiss this
important study - dismiss it as non-credible, due to the
inadequate sample size. As the sample size is in fact quite
adequate, wrongly dismissing the study would deprive the
reade of some important information.

For those who wonder how "two hundred ninety-four" mutated
to 44, I offer the following. From the group of two hundred
ninety-four, the researchers selected a subset of 88
patients who, unlike the others, had fluorodopa PET scans. I
would guess that half of them (i.e., 44) were on pergolide,
with the other half on levodopa.

Ben Winter