First, Chris: Your collection of case reports about mental changes
after DBS certainly deserves formal presentation to your professional
colleagues, and in anticipation may I be the first to request a reprint
of the article.

Second, Andy: Evidently you have reached the "fluctuating" stage of
PD, which in my view is when the shortfall of dopamine by the substantia
nigra (notwithstanding possible abundance elsewhere in the body) is
so severe that the effects of each intermittent dose of medication are
felt individually. Since those effects decline or "wear off" steadily
during the interval between scheduled doses, at some point we get
emphatic, often painful, signs that medication is needed, scheduled
or not. You needn't be a rocket scientist to see this relation between
cause and effect, but it seems also some other factors are involved.
For me, the end-of-dose signs vary with the time of day: Powerful
muscle cramps (dystonia) occur only in early morning, after sleeping
soundly right past the time I should have taken a dose of pills, and
never in waking hours. Possibly muscles become more prone to cramps
after prolonged inaction, or perhaps from chills due to accidental
exposure. Years before I was diagnosed with PD, I occasionaly had
similar cramps that were quickly relieved by heat, as by an electric
pad. Now I wonder if that was preclinical PD. During daylight hours,
my end-of dose signs are equally clear, but entirely different in
nature. Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694