Happy New Year to the denizens of the list.

I thought we may as well start the new millennium in fighting mode so here
goes.

Sums

If a man is the sum of his parts, does it mean that I’m no longer me,
if I can’t find some things I once had, e.g. I am missing some teeth,
and I lose bits of beard every day, and I’ve clipped away metres of nails,
and medical science has pared my appendix and tonsils and brain.

I’m a ‘not quite first class’ human being, or so they would have me believe,
these people who draw unseen lines, and wish that I too was unseen,
with my rag tag collection of parts and my ‘in your face’ shuffling stride,
and my ‘less than co-operative’ stance when requested to stand to one side.

I’m a ‘not yet quite dead’ human being, with parts that I have yet to try,
and a strong and  enduring belief that parts are just part of my life;
and a question for those who persist, in perceiving my limits as me --
if a man is the sum of his parts, what does lacking compassion imply?

© Dennis Greene 2000

Dennis Greene 51, dxd '87, 1st symptoms '82
email - [log in to unmask]
Website - http://members.iinet.net.au/~dennisg/
(most recent update -Nov 5, 1999)