Hi all:

I am preparing a proposal for the Canmore Conference, but I could
really use some imput. My subject is going to be: Mis/reading,
Mis/writing Contexts --A case of Mistaken Identity. What it will
address is the absence of an authentic voice in Canadian university
writers, because of the preeminence of American resources and media.
I have witnessed this phenomenon in the writing of first year
composition students. They will refer to the national branch of an
American association and fail to designate it as_ The American
National..._What this means is that they are not aware that in a
Canadian context, national is assumed to be Canadian. This leaves
students open to charges of plagiarism.
My question is, would anyone be interested in being on a panel to
discuss this issue? Has anyone else noticed this or anything related?
I am afraid that I might not be able to parlay the idea into a viable
presentation on my own. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Linda Meggs
UPEI Centre for Writing