Hello. Some of you may remember me from a long while back. My name is Ally
Deale, and I just got back on to the list. My father (age 70) was diagnosed
with PD about 21/2-3 years ago. His symptoms are bradykinesia, slowness of
movement, slouching posture, slowness of thought...can't keep a
conversation, depression. In a word, more than anything, he's very
slow...in every aspect. He doesn't shake too much, although he is doing so
more now than ever before.

Anyway, my mother is not a very good...how shall I say it...caregiver.
She's easily frustrated, won't read up on the disease, doesn't understand
the medications' ability and limitations, and refuses to call the doctor
for anything. Finally, I have convinced her to make another appointment (he
goes yearly) because I...and my brother...don't feel there has been much
improvement.

From what I was to understand, the medication he's on (Sinemet)should aleve
many of his symptoms to a point of them being hardly noticable. That is,
for as long as it continues to work. Is this wrong? Does it have this
effect on some symptoms...but not the ones I have listed? I guess what I'm
asking is...because I've seen little improvement...how do you know when the
medecine is working and when something else may have to be started?

I am really trying to update myself on research and the disease itself, as
my mother has invited my brother and I along on his appointment. Neither of
my parents feel (because they don't read up) that they know what kind of
questions to ask, etc. But, I have a lot of questions, like...what stage is
he in? What differences should we see in my father while on the medication?
How do we know when its not working? What kind of excercises should he be
doing? What is the next step? What symptoms should we look for to know that
things are or are not working?

What should I know about his lifestyle now to help the doctor give accurate
diagnoses and meds?

Your help is REALLY appreciated. The appointment is on the 17th. Also, if
you have any places to which you could refer me to answers and information
(I've seen most of the websites), I'd be greatful.

Thank you!

Ally