Hi Katie,

Tommy Thompson is hard to figure out,  His cutbacks in programs that have
provided for the welfare of those in Wisconsin are well known.  That is
what has made him so attractive to conservatives.  Yet he has been very
popular with reelection 4 times and clearly on the national scene he is
well respected. Ultimately it is Bush's Decision and we have to hope that
he doesn't placate the religious  right by throwing them  the bone (our
bones) of  stem cell research.

It is supposed  to go above freezing here today for the first time in about
3-4 weeks.  Stay warm in Packerland.

Charlie

At 08:05 PM 1/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Thank you to Dr. Meyer and to Linda Herman--I've lost her e-mail address--for
>the information on Gov. Tommy Thompson's support of stem cell research.  I
>heard on the evening news today on channel 26 in Green Bay, Wisconsin, for
>whatever this is worth, that Thompson's staff anticipated "smooth sailing"
>for the nomination and that there were no senator votes known to be against
>Thompson's nomination for Secretary of the HHS.  Amazing!  I now find myself
>having to reconfigure my view of this man because stem cell research is so
>important to us.  I was a state employee for nine-plus years during his
>tenure as governor, during his totally heartless budgetcutting years.  I
>would just caution that Gov. Thompson is a real maverick, which actually
>could be a real benefit re: the stem cell research, and I would also caution
>that if he supports something, even if he really, really, really likes
>something,  that does not mean that he will recommend or continue funding for
>that item.  And, of course, funding is the key.
>
>  Dr. Meyer and Ms. Herman have brought us good news, and we will know soon
>what will happen to Gov. Thompson's nomination.
>
>If Gov. Thompson of Wisconsin becomes the Secretary of  HHS, he will follow
>Donna Shalala, who was the head, I don't remember her title, of the
>University of Wisconsin when she was nominated by President Clinton, and
>later approved, as Secretary of HHS.  Does this indicate any kind of
>expertize or experience with HHS matters in Wisconsin?--certainly not.
>
>Dr. Meyer, it is really cold up here and we have had lots of snow, and we
>have lots of snow on the ground because it has been too cold for the snow to
>melt.  I think that you have had about the same in Madison.  How goes it in
>the southern part of the state?  Do you have a heat wave?  You know, anything
>above 0 degrees?

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI
PD DX  12 years (at age 44)