Dear Mary and PIEN subscribers,

I had two off-periods while  called as a Witness , in the Maine DHS
Hearing Room,  before the Court today for 4 hours. Maine is putting
me through an ordeal that goes on and on, so I am not able to
get enough time for positive energy to flow and create.

Maine doesn't seem to understand that I am NOT going to give in
to being stuck away in a nursing home.

The State ,and also the provider of paychecks to my workers, the ALpha
One
Independent Living Center,  are trying to chop out 8 hours/day of my 13
daily hours of personal care attendant (PCA) assistance.  I have
had 13 since 1998.

I spent a large amount of time explaining and illustrating the meaning of
"off-period" "low period" freezing episode" and dyskinesia
when I was being cross-examined. I elaborated on how these different
states affect PWP's.

Much of my evaluation centered on substantiating my claim
that I am more disabled  than I appear to be when I appear in public.

I explained what it means to "fine-tune" your medications
while remaining in conversation with your physician.

I was sworn in, answered questions for my attorney from the
Disability Rights Center, Paul Tuttle of Lousiana,
and questioned very hostilely by the Asst, Atty-General Ross.

I said on the record (while being taped) that the 10/20 assessment
felt like an interrogation and confession forced out of   a
totally innocent and unsuspecting person.

I was shocked when my neurologist's affidavit was invalidated
andobjected to because it had no date on it (but it was dated
on the FAX cover sheet), and tossed out; my primary witness's
affidavit , a social worker's statement about my health
for the last six months, was excluded because it supposedly
did not cover the assessment week in October.

I am on consumer-directed Medicaid waiver for the physically
disabled.

The state's star witness, Ms. Baldwin, interprets the Medicaid rules,
sets thelow PCA pay rate and is in charge of my case.
She  does not want me to drive , nor get around town by
asking PCA's to drive me except to stores for food, banks , ie NO
recreational, leisure and social activities are acceptable.

My mental health and social well-being  is somehow forgotten.
Ms. Baldwin objects to my asking my PCAfor help to  prepare to
 go to synagogue, and she specifically does NOT want me to sing
in the choir with  PCA help.

Otherwise it could be fraud. So she wants me to  be
confined to my house, except for  when friends are helping me.

The two opposing attorneys were given 10 days to submit
written closing arguments about my future.

I am so glad this testifying job is over- at least it seems like
I will not have to have the case re-opened in front of the Court.

Ivan Mfowethu Suzman

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 09:56:46 -0500 Mary Ann Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> > And what happens if I have a freezing
> > episode in the hearing room?
>
> Ivan, a freezing episode just might convince the court.   Think
> about having
> one.
> -----
> God bless
> Mary Ann

 Ivan Suzman        51/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)