Katie,
  I was also surprised to read that Gov. Thompson supports stem cell
research. Hope it is true. The only other reference I've ffound so far
was a transcript of a press conference when his nominatioon was
announced. See:
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/elections/bushtext122900.htm

His statement  included the following:
"Welfare reform, health care reform, long-term care for seniors, greater
opportunities for the disabled, helping the poor find work, and helping
the working-poor find rewards in their efforts, biotechnology and
scientific research: I am absolutely passionate about these issues."

When asked by a reporter, ..."some pro-lifers have expressed concern
about your position on fetal cell research. Can you talk about your
position on that, and your position generally on pro-life pro-choice
issue?"
Thompson replied: "I am a pro-life Governor.As you all know I chaired the
platform committee for the Republican party, and everybody knows that I
listen to everybody and will continue to do so. And my views on these
issues, I will be more than happy to discuss when the Senate has my
confirmation hearing."

I don't know much about Thompson's record as governor, but there are
other conservative politicians who are opposed to abortion, but have
supported stem cell research funding, viewing these as two separate
issues. I guess we may have to wait for the confirmation hearing to find
out where he really stands.
Linda