The problems with Home Health Care exist in every state at every
level.....our need is not to just band with PD patients.....but
families/patients of every age.....but keep in mind these things do come with
a price tag....someone must pay.

1.  Our tax dollars pay for home health care.....how much are you willing to
spend?
2.  More than just YOPD are in need of Home health care....paraplegics,
quadraplegics, MS, MD, CP, CF, accident survivors to name only a very few.
Preemies (with a lifetime of health problems)....many need care to keep the
breathing tube in place.....not to make light of our problems.......but we
are really fortunate to have even 1 hour of on time during the day.
3.  Salaries/benefits at McDonald's/Target are higher than many HHA's
receive...call your senator/rep and volunteer to increase your
taxes...........or move from the US and enjoy a much higher tax basis to
receive more care at home (with less choice in medical care in many
instances).....I am not trying to be demeaning...but expressing realities of
paying for what you get.......(I know...every country has taxpayer waste).
4.  How many people in the US are willing to work in jobs where the pay scale
is not going to increase dramatically......or to do the work that HHA have to
do.

My family is not immune to these problems.....we have been paying for my
mother to be in a nursing home for 3 years now (dementia from
strokes....unable to move)....and we cringe every month when we receive a
letter from the nursing home re: needs for employees.....and have watched as
the nursing home closed affiliated units, closed day care, closed
wings.....because of lack of adequate coverage by staff....unable to hire
because of salaries....in MN.  Prior to that time we tried to hire help to
stay with Mother at her home....she lived 800 - 1000 miles from my sister and
me.

Our extended family has taken time from our work and homes to stay with a
niece who eventually died of complications following surgery for a brain
tumor in New Mexico.

Our extended family has taken time from our work/schedules/homes to stay with
a chronically ill grandchild who has survived two liver transplants......in
California.

Yes, there is a need all over the country for help......but we all have to be
willing to solve the problems....and we all will make sacrafices......

Rita Weeks  56/11