Dear Connie,
What a nightmare for you, and you handled it very well. It's good that
there will be a nurse checking on him daily, and also the PT should help
a lot. If anything good can come out of this experience, perhaps it will
be to encourage Jack to remember to drink plenty of fluids and get
plenty of fiber, and maybe several servings of prunes weekly. If he's
using stool softeners, I would also ask his physician (if you haven't
already, you are so proactive!) about that.

If the doctor has not already checked, I would ask her to check his
levels of serum homocysteine (I'm assuming Jack has been using Sinemet
for several years). If levels are high, a folic acid supplement or even
a B-complex may be needed.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/