 Ivan Suzman        51/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses     22 deg. F   :-) :-)
Hi Janet,

 Thanks for posting this news.

Having noticed the same story in my
Portland morning newspaper, I got on the phone.
 I was given careful, concerned listening, while
I  spoke at length with the Roman Catholic
Diocesean  office here in Portland, Maine,
this morning.  I asked them to send my humble
message to the Holy  father,  that an announcement
that clearly describes his medical condition
would be welcome by PWP's who are advocating
for a cure.

If the Pope has PD, then to not disclose anything
keeps the unfortunate engine of misinformation going.
My circle of friends all saw the Pope's left, curled
hand  tremor, on television last week, during midnight
mass on Christmas Eve.

Younger PWP's CANNOT wait for Oggi, or forever and
ever  for the Pope. We have too many years, full of pain.
loss and sadness.  This is too difficult for most PWP's to overcome.
Our suicide rate is very noticeable.

I hope the Pope, like Archbishop Tutu, in 1999, will
direct his prayers and some of his public actions towards a strong focus
on research to discover the causes of PD.

Also, there is DEFINITELY either a mix-up, or mistaken information
in the Oggi article, as illustrated here :

> " The medicines which he takes to treat Parkinson's disease, which is
> the> cause of his hand tremors, in fact, have an impact on his muscle
> system,> reducing facial moments( probably Oggi meant MOVEMENTS}
 and forcing him to take small steps," Oggi > quoted> him as saying.

    If Oggi took the time to select a more knowledgeable reporter,
 which would have been so simple, it would have realized that its
source (Dr. Fineschi) is incorrect.  Oggi could have learned what
most of us  PWP's know from experience: that
 the PD medications do NOT induce
lessened facial movements,  nor   reversed the
short-stepped, stumbling, shuffling gait that
Fineschi claims.

No, the medicines  are taken by us PWP's in an attempt
to REDUCE or ELIMINATE  the facial musculature stiffness,
or "facial mask of PD,"  and to RETURN the gait of a person to normal.

Ivan Suzman
:-)
Portland,  Maine

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:15:39 -0500 janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Surgeon denies saying pope has Parkinson's disease
>
> In Oggi, which came out on newsstands Thursday, Fineschi was quoted
> as
> giving this explanation for why the pope walks with a shuffling
> gait: "He
> does so for neurological reasons and not orthopedic."
> >
> The 80-year-old pope's difficulty in walking and speaking and
> tremors are
> common symptoms of Parkinson's, but the Vatican has never confirmed
> that he
> has the disease.
>
> Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls, asked by the AP why the
> Holy See
> doesn't say what condition is causing the pope's symptoms, replied:
> "It's a
> question for his doctors."
>
> The Vatican had no comment on the Oggi piece.
>
> Navarro-Valls said a few years ago that the pope was suffering from
> syndrome in a family of neurological disorders, but did not name the
> disease.
>
> Fineschi told AP that he doesn't like talking about his professional
> relationship with the pope, but agreed to the Oggi piece because the
> interviewer was a priest.
>
> "In the article there's a mixup between the questions and the
> answers,"
> Fineschi said.
>
> Oggi's editor-in-chief, Angelo Ascoli, said the magazine would have
> never
> published the piece "unless we were sure it was correct right down
> to the
> last comma."
>

> By PETER W. MAYER, Associated Press
> Copyright 2000 Nando Media