Linda, your letter described the political situation perfectly. As you know,
I've been a political campaigner for stem cell research for some time and
have recruited a number of people to work with me when we needed letters and
petitions.
The issue about umbilical cord blood as a source of stem cells for
Parkinson's is still up in the air. But the news looks discouraging. A top
researcher in that field told me that this type of stem cell source does not
seem to be as versatile.
But things are happening so fast with stem cells that I pray they will prove
useful since Rome is apparently pushing the cord blood source and they could
be a terrific factor.
Unfortunately, our President Elect (?) has stated he is against stem cell
research in one of his campaign speeches. My motto -- which is on my car
says,
"Ignore Campaign Promises!" Maybe Bush will ignore that "promise."
Sid Levin